June 17, 2016
Marquez J. Slaughter, Intern
Alumni Chapter of Atlanta Hosts Scholarship Dinner June 24
VALDOSTA — The Valdosta State University Alumni Chapter of Atlanta is inviting alumni and friends to its fourth annual Atlanta Alumni Dinner on Friday, June 24, at the Westside location of 5 Seasons Brewing Company, 100 Marietta St. NW, Atlanta. Proceeds benefit student scholarships.
Cocktails will be served at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 7:15 p.m. David Ratcliffe, a VSU graduate of 1970 who serves as co-chairman of the university’s ongoing capital campaign and former chief executive, president, and chairman of Southern Company is this year’s keynote speaker.
Tickets are $75 and include hors d’oeuvres, dinner, dessert, beer, and wine. Tickets may be purchased by calling VSU’s Office of Alumni Relations at (229) 333-5797. Sponsorship opportunities are also available, beginning at the $150 Fountain Sponsor level and up to the $5,000 West Hall Sponsor level.
A silent auction will be conducted throughout the evening. The items may include gifts, jewelry, sporting or cultural event tickets, gift certificates, and weekend getaways.
Each year the Alumni Chapter of Atlanta awards an undergraduate student and a graduate student a one-time scholarship. Nasheila Blakney of Douglasville, who is pursuing a Master of Education in adult and career education, and Kathleen Tatro of Canton, who is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in biology with a minor in chemistry, are the recipients of the 2015 scholarships. The 2016 recipients are Kiara Nyomba of College Park, who is pursuing a Master of Education in communication sciences and disorders, and Erin Cole of Suwanee, who is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Education in middle grades education.
Contact Janet Wade, administrative coordinator with VSU’s Office of Alumni Relations, at (229) 333-5797 or email@example.com to learn more.
On the Web:
Alumni Chapter of Atlanta Scholarship Criteria• Applicants must be a resident of one of the following Metro Atlanta counties in Georgia: DeKalb, Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, Fayette, Gwinnett, Douglas, Henry, Rockdale, Forsyth, Cherokee, and Paulding.
• Applicants must have a 3.0 or better grade point average.
• Undergraduate applicants must have already completed a minimum of 30 semester hours at VSU.
• Graduate applicants must have already completed nine semester hours at VSU.
• Applicants must agree to attend the annual Atlanta Alumni Dinner and at least one other chapter event.
• Applications must be submitted no later than March 1 of each year for consideration and can be obtained from VSU’s Office of Alumni Relations by visiting http://www.valdostastate.org or by calling (229) 333-5797.