October 8, 2012
VSU Choirs Perform at First Christian Church
VALDOSTA — Valdosta State University’s Concert Choir, Spotlighters, and Chamber Singers will perform at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, at First Christian Church. Concert admission is free and open to the public.
“This is a one-night event,” said Dr. Paul Neal, conductor and director of the Choral Studies Program. “It’s a small church, so everyone should come early to get a seat.”
The program features 11 song selections and talent from nearly every area of study in the Department of Music. Violinist Nina Lutz, the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra’s concertmaster, and Dr. Lyle Indergaard, professor of piano, will join Steven Taylor on cello, Nathaniel Jones and Sara Seligosky on piano, Nancy Davis and Chad Capers on percussion in accompanying the vocalists.
Neal noted that he has over 75 students participating in the concert. Not all of them are music majors; some are studying psychology, history, communications, biology, exercise physiology, chemistry, mathematics, and so on. Choir members also include community members and professors.
“I have been very impressed with the talent and work ethic of the choirs this fall,” he added. “They are singing very well, and the program is especially good. I think that people will really enjoy the variety of repertoire that will be sung on Tuesday.”
Typically, Department of Music performances are held in the Fine Arts Building’s Whitehead Auditorium. However, Neal said the acoustics at the church are better for a choir. First Christian Church is located at 1905 N. Patterson St.
“We work hard to find a good choral blend …,” he said.
Concert Choir members are:
• Soprano — Jasmin Allen, Mary Debra Brown, Sarah Carter-Sweatte, Kameron Crutcher, Dominique D’Heureux, Sydney Files, Lacie Hall, Creshenda Inman, Rakeeta Laird, Mesa Miller, Jessica Moore, Amelia Paul, Anna Maria Schaer, Avery Schultz, and Cassy Stowe.
• Alto — Lynn Corbin, Gwen Manning-Larkin, Brittany Loftin, Danielle McNeil, Jackie Saccente, Sara Seligosky, Rebekah Strickland, and Felicity Watts.
• Tenor — Rohan Jones, Joseph Morris, Dillan Parker, Garrett Randolph, and David Sanders.
• Bass — David Boyd, Vicorie Brown, David Fennell, Michael Foster, De’Arius Howell, Jerry Jennett, Nathaniel Jones, Brian McMillan, Jared Scott, Brett Williams, and Issa Young.
Chamber Singers members are:
• Soprano — Emily Bechiom, Rachel Campbell, Bria Harrison, Mariah Hollis, Corinne Noyd, Terri Parker, Allie Peterson, Lily Ramsey, Carmen Turner, and Erin Walsh.
• Alto — Anna Burke, Scarlett Eirish, Gabrielle Ford, Aylesha Gurley, Ashley Hamilton, Esther Maloof, Leah Powers, Kiara Walker, and Whitney Wiggins.
• Tenor — Nick Baggarley, Antoine Bray, Nathan Calvert, Kamron Glover, Corey McNabb, Nick Thompson, and Tyler Walker.
• Bass — Bryan Booth-Henderson, Jonathan Brown, Chad Capers, Lee Hillmon, Stuart Price, Sam Schuler, Sean Wassmuth, Ben Watson, and Issa Young.
Spotlighters members are Emily Bechiom, Bria Harrison, Gabrielle Ford, Ashley Hamilton, Kiara Walker, Antoine Bray, Nathan Calvert, Lee Hillmon, Sam Schuler, and Issa Young.
Contact Dr. Paul Neal at (229) 333-5812 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
On the Web:
Holiday Candlelight Concert in the West Hall Rotunda, with performances at 3 p.m., 5 p.m., and 7 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 2.